As you guys know, Jeremy, Nick and I just moved a little over a month ago! I LOVE our apartment!!! And over the next few weeks I’m going to be introducing some DIY projects I’ve taken on to make our apartment feel like home. At the end of the projects, I’ll post one big blog post that has photos of the entire apartment!
Today’s DIY Apartment project is painted striped curtains. I saw this on of course Pinterest and loved it. Then one of my best friends Allison did this in her new house and I loved the results so I wanted to tackle it myself! -A
-Curtains. I purchased mine from Target, they are the RE: brand and were only $10.00 a panel. A warning though: I wish I had spent more money on the curtains to get ones that were a better material and were a little bit thicker, I think it would have helped prevent some bleeding of the paint and would prevent the sun from shining through the painted portions as much
-Painter’s Tape to tape off the lines
-Drop Cloth to protect floor from the paint- it WILL come through the curtain
-Paint. I used a quart of paint and used almost all of it to get two coats on the curtains. I kind of want to do this again with neon or super bright stripes or even a different pattern!
-A ruler or other object to use to measure out the stripe width/height. I was SUPER technical and used a frame that I had. Hey, it worked!!
I found a good spot on the floor, put the drop cloth down and then taped the drop cloth to the floor as well as the curtains to the drop cloth so that nothing would be sliding around. In the picture below I have not taped the curtain panels together yet, but I did this when measuring out the stripes so that I was sure I’d have a straight line that “matched” when they were hanging.
Here I am measuring out the stripes and clearly looking confused hahaha. This is where I actually taped the curtain panels together as well.
Here are the curtains all taped up and ready for paint!!
Curtains after the first coat of paint! Make sure to be really careful around the painter’s tape and be super careful when putting the painter’s tape down. There were some spots where the curtain would bunch slightly under the paint, and once I took the tape off, there was a little smudge or mark of paint where the tape had bunched up.
Woohoo! Curtains after second coat of paint and almost ready for their debut!
Voila! One quick picture of the curtains up in the living room! More photos of the living room coming soon!